Saturday, May 17, 2008

Preakness Day




Well, here it is. Already time for the second party, ah I mean jewel, of the Triple Crown. Way back when, the Derby, Preakness and Belmont parties were the framework around which our entire summer party season was built. The students were gone from the city and it was all ours. One of the best invites was to the house of Lord Ra. He kept an immaculate home that was comfortable and funky. His works of art were always on display and everchanging. He was a great cook too. And maintained a clean bathroom! There was no fear in taking a shower at Ra's. What were the odds of that? It was a very safe place to crash and he'd put you up anytime. Some people stayed for years. God, I hated it when he moved away.

Anyway, back to the race. I have to ask myself, "Is Big Brown a great horse or is he just the turd that will last the longest in the punchbowl?" Either way he wins but the general consensus before the Derby was that he might be a serious contender only because the rest of the field this year sucked ass. People must have realized that opinion was rather insulting to the rest of the horses, so they've started backing off it a bit. You can still tell that's what everyone is thinking though. There's a lot of speculation that he just might win the crown. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Sure, every year you hope it will happen, but it kind of blows to have it feel like it's happened by default.

Getting to the point, my Trifecta bets will be Big Brown [queen makes Mr Burns noise of disgust and shudders here] Kentucky Bear and Giant Moon. Ya gotta love a horse called Giant Moon. Then I'm thinking Big Brown with Icabad Crane and Stevil. A cruise up to Rockingham today seems like just the ticket and if the turd rocket comes through for me maybe I can buy a new crown. I just wish Lord Ra was here. And if anyone sees AlbertO, please tell him that I'm over here now, on the other side of Broad Street.


This pic was shot in the house of Lord Ra. But this isn't him. I still haven't found my good stash of pictures. Sorry.

1 comment:

Q Tontileo said...

Hell! Damn!! ASS!!!